2.13.2011

Potato, Kale and Leek Soup

I made this the other day for the girls who are getting over a bout with a nasty cold/flu bug. I've never been one to cook with a recipe so keep in mind that you can adjust the seasoning any way you see fit... And, if you've never prepped a Leek before I've embedded a short video on how to get it done quickly... Cheers

Potato, Kale and Leek Soup

- In a large soup pot saute the following in a small amount of cooking oil on low heat [I think I used Sunflower]. This soup is creamed so there's no need to get fancy with the knife skills.

3 Leeks -  Sliced
2 Carrots - peeled and sliced
3 cloves Garlic  - peeled and halved
1 Small Onion - sliced
3 Ribs of Celery sliced
Big Pinch of Salt, Thyme and Rosemary
2-3 grinds of black pepper

- Let these saute slowly while you prep the other ingredients, we're looking to get the celery translucent, the onion and leeks slightly browned...

4 Russet Potatoes - Peel and Thick Sliced, Add them into the pot and toss in with the other ingredients
1 Large Bunch of Kale, cleaned and added to the pot*
1 Tsp "Spike" seasoning [if you've never heard of it >> http://amzn.to/cGvNf2 ]

*Note: I wash my kale, then tear the leafy matter by hand away from the stalks and spines and toss it directly into the pot. I dislike stringy things in my soups. blech

- Cover the ingredients with water. Bring to a boil and then set to simmer for an hour
- Puree the ingredients in the pot. Using a blender stick works best. This time I used a strainer and processed small batches in a blender with a little cooking liquid each time and kept transferring it back to the pot

1/2 Pint of Heavy Cream - stir this into the soup
Salt and Pepper to taste

Thats about it. If you think its a tad too thin, like mine was, I used a little corn starch to tighten it up - like 1 tsp diluted in cold water and whisked it in. Enjoy !!



No comments: